5 Disadvantages of that basement you’re thinking about putting in…
1. Planning Permission: London is tightening up on allowing basements & restricting size & depth so you need to factor this in when looking to dig down.
2. Check your contractor has experience in basements – botched jobs and claims have cost housebuilders nearly £21m since 2005.
3. Construction issues – how to get the digger in (and out?) and the soil out? Important to consider construction methods, limits, soil conditions etc. There’s a rumour that hundreds of JCB’s are hidden under London properties.
4. Movement,subsidence & collapse can affect your property and next door. Is cover in place to protect 3rd party properties? You are liable for damage caused!
5. That swimming pool again…..swimming pools in basements can cause damp, rot and mould if not damp-proofed correctly.
In case you hadn’t already put somethought into it, here’s what you could put in that basement if you go ahead:
- That underground bar you’ve always wanted
- No excuses to not to go to the gym and get fit with one in your own home
- Why go to the cinema and listen to everyone else eat popcorn when you can watch a movie at yours with this indoor cinema
- Indoor Bowling alley? Why not…. You won’t have to wear those silly bowling shoes either
- Pool party! Why not get that pool but with a transparent cover that goes over the top when you want to have a party instead….